Dia de los Muertos is a long held Latin holiday where we come together and honor those who have passed on. It’s a day with celebration, love, and a lot of food. More often than not, the day is full of friends and family and lots of beautiful decor for altars in memory of the dead.
I got to experience such an event, which I will tell you about in another post, but I wanted to share with you the delicious and easy snack I took with me: Pumpkin Fritters.
Yum! They were fried using Mazola Corn Oil and they were delicious. Recipe and a quick little how-to video are below. Enjoy!
Makes: 18-24 fritters
Prep: 10 minutes
Cook Time: About 20 minutes
1 cup pumpkin puree
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
1 tsp salt
4 cups corn oil for frying
- In a medium bowl using a mixer, combine pumpkin, egg, flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, pumpkin spice and salt.
- Mix until smooth.
- Heat oil in a deep saucepan to 325 degrees.
- Drop batter by spoonfuls into hot oil.
- Fry until golden brown, about 2 minutes.
- Remove with a slotted spoon.
- Sift with either Confectioner’s Sugar or a Cinnamon & Sugar Mix.
- Serve and enjoy immediately!