After a long hard day of working, parenting, chasing the cats, cleaning, cooking- doing everything but sitting in one spot for more than a second- whew! OK, well after all that, I like to relax with a nice cold beer (yes, BEER- wine only with dinner or friends) or ice cream. I find each relax me in their own way. One day, I got to thinking- there has got to be a way to somehow combine these two. I thought back to my twenty something days where Irish Car Bombs used to remind me of Chocolate Milk Shakes.
I took it just one step further and created this delicious ice cream.
Guinness Chocolate Mint Ice Cream
(Makes about 1-1.5 quarts)
2 cups whole milk
4-5 fresh mint leaf sprigs, just the leaves though
1 cup heavy cream
1 bottle Guinness Generous Ale Stout
6 oz of Andes Mint Chocolates
4 egg yolks
1 1/4 cup white sugar
1 package Starbucks hot cocoa mix
Whipped Topping (optional)
- In a pot over medium-high heat, add the cream, milk, mint leaves, heavy cream and stout.
- Bring to a slow simmer.
- Remove from heat, remove mint leaves, and stir in the Hot Cocoa packet til mixed well.
- Stir in the Andes chocolate until completely melted.
- In a separate bowl, add the egg yolks and the sugar, whisk until combined. Slowly add the chocolate milk mixture, whisking continually.
- When about 1/2 the mixture has been added to the egg yolk/sugar combo, combine the remaining of both mixtures in the pot and whisk until well combined.
- Return pot to heat and bring to a mild simmer.
- Refrigerator mixture until chilled (3-5 hours).
- Churn in ice cream maker according to manufactures directions.
- Chill until firm.
- Scoop and top with whipped cream and a couple Andes Chocolate pieces and voila!
While this recipe is a variety of flavors- there would be no ice cream without milk! This is my favorite milk recipe and I am also happy to share with you another fabulous milk recipe! That of the World Famous Porto’s Bakery in Los Angeles for their classic and amazing Flan! Just check out the webisode below and make sure you check out other great videos on El Vaso Medio Lleno’s You Tube channel.
Disclosure: This is a sponsored campaign with the California Milk Processor Board and Latina Mom Bloggers. However, all opinions expressed are my own.