Paleta de Sandia y Pepino: Watermelon and Cucumber Mexican Popsicles

Disclosure: This post is unsponsored, however, may contain some affiliate links.

Growing up in Los Angeles, our summers were pretty much on par with the rest of the country. We played with the sprinklers and hoses, spent all day outside playing with kids in the neighborhood  or in car rides to the beach. The one most vivid difference, for me anyway, was that distinctive bell approaching down the street and a man yelling “Paletas! Raspadias! Dulces!” and each kid ran to attack the man with the white push cart selling delicious, sweet, icy treats. I can recall the refreshing sweetness and the stickyness as the paleta melted down my fingers. My mom and grandmother didn’t mind these sweet breaks, because most of these treats were made with the freshest fruit available and sometimes, they would surprise us by making them for us.

The neighborhood I live in now, doesn’t have the guy with the push cart but I wanted my daughter to experience the same thing I did, so I decided to make a series myself. This was my first experiment and my family went nuts over it. Hope you like it!

Watermelon Cucumber Mexican Popsicle, Paleta de Sandia y Pepino Copyright Sassy Mama in L.A./Yolanda Machado

Paletas de Sandia con Pepino (Watermelon Cucumber Mexican Popsicles)

Makes 8-10

Ingredients

1/2 cup sugar
1/2 water
3 cups watermelon (or.. how I measured it- I filled my blender and blended it down to fit the cucumber)
1 cucumber, chopped, skin on
1/2 lime, juiced
2 dashes of salt

Directions

1. Combine sugar and water in a pot. Cook on Low- Medium, stirring until sugar is completely dissolved. Set aside.
  2. In a blender, combine watermelon, cucumber lime and salt, blend on low for about 30 seconds. Add sugar mixture.
  3. Blend on high for about 2 minutes.
  4. Strain into a pitcher
  5. Pour into paleta molds (popsicle molds). Insert popsicle sticks (tip: wet ends in warm water for about 30 seconds and insert. These help weigh the sticks down to stay put!) This made 10 for me.
  6. Freeze 4-5 hours.
  7. Take out and enjoy.

SandiaPaleta

Comments

1. says

Oh how I miss the ice cream man!! Where did they all go, do ya think??
    My step-mother used to make these exact Popsicles for us when we’d visit her and my dad every summer (Chicago to LA) They were delish! I forgot all about them until reading this. I should make some myself now… I wonder if I could add tequila for grown up popsiciles too?? HHmm….

2. Sandy Cain says

OMG, can there be anything more refreshing in a hot sticky summer than a combination of watermelon, cucumber, with a dash of lime?? I cannot wait to make this! It gets so hot and humid here in NYC, and I am am always looking looking for something to cool off with – and this sounds way better than ice cream. Bless you, mija, I’m gonna love these!!!! (PS – thanks for the tip about dipping the stick ends in warm water!)

3. April Yedinak says

These sound so yummy! I love frozen watermelon anything! I have to pin this so I can try them later.

4. Vanessa Aguirre says

Me encantan las paletas de Sandia but never tried them with Pepino thanks for sharing the recipe would try to make some for my kids it seems like they never have enough Paletas in the fridge :)

5. Tammy S says

These sound so good. I would never have thought of making this combination. Thanks for sharing this recipe. If it ever get warm enough. :)

6. Ari T. says

These look so delicious! And refreshing with the watermelon and cucumbers! Just a yummy summery citrus blend of flavors! The color is so pretty as well! Thank you for sharing your recipe!

7. Linda Meyers-Gabbard says

Have never thought of putting these two flavors together, but I have to admit it sounds good.

8. Ellen Anderson says

These sound delicious and easy enough to make! I love cucumbers and watermelon but wouldn’t have thought to put the two together. Sounds super refreshing and my husband would love them!

9. Sharon says

i like buying watermelons when they go on sale and i get the biggest one, but that always leaves me with a ton of watermelon to use up! this is a great idea for a recipe and i want to try it on the next hot summer day!

10. M.Clark says

This sounds delicious and refreshing, can’t wait to try it!! Thank you for sharing this recipe.

Trackbacks