Disclosure: I am a member of the Lowes Creator and Influencers Team and received a gift card for this post. All opinions are 100% my own. Pictures are original and sole property of Sassy Mama in L.A. and may not be repurposed, reposted without the express written permission of site owner. Any violation will be pursued to the furthest extent of the law.
I am a lover of art. Not the fancy stuff… I like my art to be more in tune to my lifestyle and I especially love when something not only looks pretty, but has some functionality also. When Lowe’s presented the challenge of Indoor Art for this month, I thought…hmm, why not make something that we like AND that we can use. I decided to create this Summer Inspired Magnetic Chalkboard. We find it can fit just about anywhere…in and outside, but we really like it in the kitchen. Plus, with it’s magnetic primer…we can decorate it up with magnets or just use it as a chalkboard to remind us of dates or things we need. Awesome right? This is how you can do it at home.
DIY Indoor Summer Inspired Art: Magnetic Chalkboard
- 1 Picture Frame
- Plywood, cut to size of inside frame and sanded
- Magnetic Primer
- Chalkboard Paint
- Hot Glue Gun
- Seashells (or other fun decorations)
- Get all materials ready.
- Remove any glass or pictures inside of frame. I got this nice frame at Lowe’s and just used a hammer and some scissors to open it up and remove the little nails holding the inside in.
- Set down drop cloth and after your plywood is cut to the size of your frame, set down and get ready. Apply 1st coat of Magnetic Primer and let dry for 30-45 mins. You will need 3 coats of primer. When all primer is dry, start your chalkboard paint 1st coat, and let dry for 30-40 mins. You will need 3 coats as well.
- Once the paint is dry, use the hot glue gun to glue to inside of frame. Once it is glued and dried, start decorating your frame with your decorations. Let dry.
- After an hour or two, you can hang up your functional Indoor Art!
Now you have a great and unique piece to use in any room that will always remind you of summer.
For more awesome ideas, make sure you visit Lowes Creative Ideas and follow along with Lowe’s on Pinterest or on Instagram. You can also sign up to receive the free Creative Ideas Magazine, which is full of all kinds of ideas & inspiration! There’s also a magazine app for you to download.