Disclosure: I am a member of the Lowes Creator and Influencers Team and received a gift card for this post. All opinions are 100% my own. Pictures are original and sole property of Sassy Mama in L.A. and may not be repurposed, reposted without the express written permission of site owner. Any violation will be pursued to the furthest extent of the law.
Summer is really rolling around here and with my daughter home on Summer Vacation, we are constantly looking for ways to keep cool…and entertained! Every week we blow through at least 5-6 bags of balloons making water balloons for the kids to play with…and every week, I am left to clean up all the balloon mess. In the heat. No, thank you! Lucky for me, our challenge for Lowe’s in June was to create an outdoor game and boy, has this been THE game for all the kids in our building. All it took was some sponges, some thread (I used floss) and a bucket.
DIY Sponge Balls (Makes 4)
- Open packages of large sponges
- Cut into 4 strips, length-wise
- Cut each of those strips into 3 strips, length-wise again
- You will have about 36 strips
- Take 9 Strips and layer them on top of each other
- Twist a few times (You’ll need help with this and the next step)
- Grab thread or floss and tie & knot in the middle. Then let go, and spread your strips out in a ball formation.
- Fill bucket with Water and throw in the sponges.
- Go have a sponge ball fight!
We have definitely found a way to keep cool and have a blast… and for under $15! You definitely can’t beat that! For more awesome ideas, make sure you visit Lowes Creative Ideas and follow along with Lowe’s on Pinterest or on Instagram. You can also sign up to receive the free Creative Ideas Magazine, which is full of all kinds of ideas & inspiration! There’s also a magazine app for you to download.