This blog post is part of a paid SocialMoms and Farmer John blogging program. The opinions and ideas expressed here are my own.
Memories of family gatherings for me includes lots of hustle and bustle, particularly in the kitchen. People would walk in and out, some holding meats to be cooked, others, gathering sides and appetizers to lay out on the tables for everyone to grab. My grandmother and mom would work in quiet unison, sometimes an aunt or two would sit in and help, but one thing I always knew, was that whatever was coming from the kitchen was going to be delicious. My family comes from Peru, and for us, sides ares chips and dips, it’s more like Papa a la Huancaina, Ceviche Mixto, or, Causa Rellana.
Causa Rellena was a dish that my mom sometimes even made into an actual dinner. It’s made of potatoes with, usually, a tuna layer, and an array of spices that made your mouth dance. My husband is not a fan of seafood, so I set out to make him a version of Causa that would not only pay tribute to that deliciousness that came from my family’s kitchen, but also celebrate some of our favorite flavors now. That means BACON.
I bet I just made your mouth water. BACONNNNN. Our favorite is Farmer John, of course. Known for delivering the highest quality pork products, Farmer John is synonymous with delicious, crisp and savory bacon. Taking that tradition to the next level, Farmer John is introducing the new mild premium jalapeno bacon. With the same great flavor as Farmer John’s popular classic bacon, the new mild jalapeno bacon offers subtle spice and flavor that can be added to enhance any mealtime – breakfast, lunch, snack or dinner.
When my husband tried the mild jalapeno bacon for the first time, he was hooked, and I immediately knew what I was going to do. I created this Causa Rellena with Chicken and Mild Jalapeno Bacon. Because it’s inspired by my Peruvian heritage, I used purple potatoes (thanks to Melissa’s Produce for supplying them!) but if you can’t find them, Yukon Gold or regular potatoes work fine.
My husband took one bite of my Causa, and, well, say it was a hit is putting it mildly. The process is long but it’s easy, and you can make it the night before and serve it to your guests later in the day. Here’s how
Causa Rellena con Pollo & Mild Jalapeno Bacon
Makes 4 servings
- 1 lbs (6-8) Purple potatoes
- 1 1/2 tbsps aji amarillo paste
- 1 lime
- 1 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- Salt to taste
- 2-3 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 3 tbsps light mayonnaise
- 1-2 tsp yellow mustard
- 2 tsp garlic salt
- 1 tsp ground white pepper
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1-2 Haas Avocados
- 4 pieces Farmer John Mild Jalapeno Bacon, diced
- 2 Boiled eggs, peeled and sliced
- Black olives
- Lettuce Leaves (washed and whole)
- Boil the potatoes in lightly salted water until soft. Peel the potatoes and mash them. Add Aji Amarillo Paste, lime juice, oil, garlic and lightly salt. Mash until it looks almost like a paste. Set aside.
- Boil the chicken in water seasoned with salt and pepper. When cooked, let cool and shred the chicken. Mix in the mayonnaise, paprika, and mustard. Lightly season with salt and white pepper to taste.
- Dice 4 pieces of Farmer John Mild Jalapeno Bacon. Cook thoroughly until it crisps in a pan, remove from pan onto a paper towel and let rest for 5-10 mins.
- In a small pyrex, make a layer with the potato mixture. Then, add the chicken mixture as your second layer. Top the chicken mixture with the bacon bits, then add another potato layer on top.
- Cover with saran wrap, and chill until ready to serve.
- Set your plate with a lettuce leaf, and add some avocado slices in a square formation. cut the causa into squares, and set on top of avocado. Sprinkle with paprika lightly. Top with 1-2 slices of a hard boiled egg, and some black olives.
For delicious recipes and other mealtime inspirations, visit FarmerJohn.com.