If you’re a gamer like me, you get really excited whenever a video-game inspired movie hits the theaters. Well brace yourselves EA fans, because Need for Speed (which I first played on my original PlayStation system decades ago) has now been turned into a fast, action-packed film. And it hits theaters today!
Need For Speed, which stars Aaron Paul, is just what you would expect: a lot of cars and a lot of fun. But instead of hearing my reactions to the film, I thought I would leave you with these NFS facts:
- The sweet ride featured in the film is none other than a souped up version of the all-new Ford Mustang. We featured the unveiling of this amazing car here on Sassy Mama in LA!
- Director Scott Waugh, who comes from a stuntman family, wanted to stay true to the video game by making the audience feel like they were in the car. This meant incorporating helmet-cam shots and even putting himself in the midst of the action.
- A majority of the car stunts in the film were done using car shells, with hardly any visual effects; the director felt that the use of visual effects would be obvious and thus take away from the film.
- Eight Mustangs were built for the film, six were destroyed doing stunts. Don’t worry, of the supercars used in the film (Veyron, P1… etc) none of them were actually destroyed, they used replicas for the real brutal stuff.
- The race that all the stunt drivers had the most fun with was the classic car race, which also happened to be my favorite scene in the movie. Man, do I love me a classic muscle car!
- Imogen Poots had never driven a car before being cast in this film.
- SPOILER ALERT: Aaron Paul does not resort to cooking meth in the film.
Vianessa is a professional actress who leads a not-so-secret double life as a freelance writer. An East-coaster by birth, and West-coaster by circumstance, Vianessa believes that lots of sci-fi, kayaking, travel and personal style are the key to a happy life. When not on set or writing, she can be found hanging out with family and friends or at the local arcade. Vianessa on Instagram.