Every October, my family preps for a few important dates. The obvious one is Halloween, but for our family, we also remember my grandfather on the day of his death. Last year, I set up a little oferanda in my living room for him and got to talk to Sofia about who he was, and how I was celebrating him by remembering him on Dia de los Muertos. Now, I was raised in a Peruvian household, so celebrating this day was new to me too, but since I am also half Mexican, I have been trying to learn about Mexican traditions and infusing them into our lives at home. This occasion is one in which Sofia and I are learning together, and it was her idea to have a small get together here to remember my Ito, my father and my niece.
On Day of the Dead, many foods are made. Some are meant to be placed on oferendas (altars) and others are meant for the living, to eat as we celebrate and honor our dead and to enjoy being together. I thought about what could be made quickly, and easily for about 10-12 people that we would all enjoy, and that’s when it came down to pizza. Not just any pizza, but a delicious Mexican style pizza made with some Cacique chorizo, and Mexican Cheese from Cacique’s newest product, shredded cheese.
Easy Mexican Pizza with Chorizo
- 1 Package Ready Made Pizza Crust
- 1 Package Four Cheese Blend Cacique Cheese
- 1 can (30 oz) Refried beans
- 1 Package Cacique Beef Chorizo
- 1/4 cup chopped olives
- 1/2 tomato, chopped
- 1/8 green onions, chopped
- 2 teaspoons oil
- 1 teaspoon Garlic Salt
- Pre-heat oven 350 for about 10 mins.
- Cook chorizo fully and then place in a bowl with some thick paper towels to drain excess. Set aside.
- Unroll pizza dough and place on a greased baking sheet. Spread out a little bit. Put in oven and bake for about 5-6 minutes. Then remove and set aside.
- While dough is baking, in a small saucepan on medium heat, add oil and garlic salt. Then add refried beans and warm for about 5 mins.
- Spread refried beans in a small even layer over pizza crust. Spread chorizo over beans, and then sprinkle cheese all over. I love really cheesy pizza, so I used the whole package. Use as much cheese as you want. Sprinkle chopped olives and green onions.
- Place in oven for 6-8 mins, depending on how baked you like your pizza. I like some crunch, so 8 mins was perfect for me.
- While pizza is still warm, sprinkle chopped tomatoes to the amount desired.
- Cut into square slices, and serve. (You may add salsa, guacamole or sour cream for extra yum!)