This post is sponsored by Huggies.
I never imagined myself saying that becoming a mother was the best thing that ever happened to me. I mean, a few years ago I was running around at punk rock shows and being a mom was the furthest thought in my head. Fast forward to the moment that I first hugged my son, and I fell instantly in love. Now, I wouldn’t trade being a mother for anything in the world. Having my son changed me, and my life, for the better.
As a first time mom, it was a little tricky to know what I really needed or what is best for my baby. For one, I wish I had added Huggies Little Snugglers Diapers and Huggies Natural Care Wipes to my baby shower registry because I never realized how incredibly fast babies really do grow. I mean, I know people tell you “they grow too fast”, or “it goes by in a blink”, but literally, babies really do GROW fast! When my son was only a couple months old, I had so much unused clothes and diapers that I didn’t know what to do with! I hadn’t prepared for him to grow so fast so soon, so I had only bought newborn sizes! So I found myself giving away the small clothing and donating all those diapers to a diaper bank in my area.
Huggies Little Snugglers Diapers are inspired by hugs to keep baby’s skin clean and healthy, now available in larger sizes for your growing baby. Plus, the new DryTouch Liner absorbs moisture on contact to help keep baby dry and they have a wetness indicator that lets you know when it’s time to change. They are also hypoallergenic, fragrance-free and available in seven sizes, from Preemie to Size 5, so you can trust Huggies as your baby grows!
So, yes, there is a lot to learn when you’re a new mom. I’m still learning things every day, and will continue to do long after my son is an adult! But, here are a few things I learned that you should know about being a new mom:
- Be who you are. You are your baby’s best mom and it doesn’t matter how you dress or look. Your baby will love you for you.
- Be confident. Those first few months really make you doubt yourself because it’s all so new, but take pride in being a mom because your baby will always be your #1 fan and have unconditional love for you.
- Messes will happen. Your baby will explore and probably make the biggest messes you’ve ever seen. Toys, books, their clothes, their faces, your hair, your favorite shirt, basically, anything in arms reach, and it’s ok. Messes can be cleaned up, but nothing will replace that baby giggle as they explore. Just invest in some good detergent and stain removers!
- Be patient. Take a deep breath, even if you have to walk out of the room for a few seconds, breathe and remember, this too will pass. Babies don’t stay babies forever, and then when they aren’t babies- you’ll wish they were.
- Walking = Heart attack central. Once your baby starts to get mobile, it’s on! You’ll have to child proof things you never thought you’d have to child proof before. Nail everything down, lock things up, baby is on the go! It’s a fun stage, and you will definitely get a work out.
- Always have extra clothes and diapers in the diaper bag and a pair for yourself in the car! You never know when you’re out and about and your baby gets a little artistic with their clothes… or yours!
- Most importantly, have fun! It really is true that they grow up too fast. Dance with them, sing to them, read to them, hug and cuddle up all that babyness while you can. It really does make the biggest and greatest impact on their lives and yours.
Most important thing I’ve learned? Being a mom isn’t written in a handbook, website or magazine. We all mom our own ways, and it will come naturally to you. Don’t let anyone bring you down or tell you what you’re doing is wrong. If your baby is happy, healthy and you are (somewhat) sane, you’re always being the best mom ever. Just ask your baby!
Huggies® believes deeply in the Power of Hugs. The simple, loving act is proven to support babies’ emotional and physiological well-being. Huggies® diapers and wipes are inspired by a parent’s hug, – to nurture baby with care, cradle baby in comfort and surround baby in protection. Huggies® Little Snugglers Diapers deliver the best skin care to keep baby’s skin clean and healthy. Learn more at Huggies.com. #HuggiesCouncil