Usually, when I go to a press conference- two things happen. For one, I have seen the movie and taken notes so I know what questions, if any, I have for the cast or directors. Two- the cast and directors actually give answers about the movie. Neither were the case for the press conference this past weekend for Marvel’s Avengers: Infinity War and it made for a hilarious, fun, albeit unusual, press day.
Oh, and when I said a “gathering of superheroes”, I meant it. In attendance were: Dave Bautista (Drax), Paul Bettany (Vision), Chadwick Boseman (T’Challa / Black Panther), Josh Brolin (Thanos), Don Cheadle (James Rhodes / War Machine), Benedict Cumberbatch (Dr Stephen Strange), Robert Downey Jr. (Tony Stark/Iron Man), Winston Duke (M’Baku), Danai Gurira (Okoye), Chris Hemsworth (Thor), Tom Hiddleston (Loki), Tom Holland (Peter Parker/Spider-Man), Scarlett Johansson (Natasha Romanoff / Black Widow), Pom Klementieff (Mantis), Anthony Mackie (Sam Wilson/Falcon), Elizabeth Olsen (Wanda Maximoff/Scarlett Witch), Chris Pratt (Peter Quill/Star-Lord), Mark Ruffalo (Bruce Banner/The Hulk), Zoe Saldana (Gamora), Sebastian Stan (Bucky Barnes/Winter Soldier), Letitia Wright (Shuri), directors Anthony and Joe Russo and producer Kevin Feige. Phew- that’s a mouthful! Yes, my fave Chris, Captain America, was not in attendance because he’s off doing wonderful theatre 3000 miles away. Le sigh.
Here’s a few of the things the cast *was* able to say:
- After asking which is better, Iron Man or Black Panther to the journalist asking the first question (who replied Black Panther), RDJ (as I like to call him) gave perhaps the only spoiler he could. He was asked if he’ll be in “Avengers 4” — his response: “We’ll never know. If I die tomorrow, I’m gonna be confused. We’ll see.”
- Chris Hemsworth poked a little fun at being a fellow Chris when asked about meeting the Guardians of the Galaxy by saying, “I had some weird nervous butterflies floating around my body. I squeezed them out of me. Chris Pratt gave me a big hug and all the butterflies floated away. That was great though, having a new dynamic. This whole film for me, I felt like a fan. The be onscreen with them as Thor, but also as Chris was exciting”
- Chadwick Boseman, who’s film “Black Panther” is STILL in theaters over 2 months later, was asked about if he saw Infinity War as Black Panther 1.5. He replied, :I think we have a strong presence within the movie and it was great to have some of these people in Wakanda. It is its own movie and it was great to go from what we did with Black Panther and bring some of that to Avengers, it was a relief actually. But it’s its own thing.”
- Meanwhile, Sebastian Stan aka The Winter Soldier, aka The White Wolf got to talk a little about his character as seen in Infinity War. He stated, “I think you see shades of the old, so to speak, Bucky. I guess the guy smiles finally! As far as accepted [by the Avengers], I wouldn’t go as far as saying that. I think he’s seeing where his allies are, he’s been enjoying the coconut water in Wakanda and everything else is just peachy.”
- Danai Gurira went a little fangirl in her answer when asked about the rumor that the Marvel women approached Marvel President, Kevin Feige, about their own film. Gurira said simply, “I was just thinking how excited I am about Brie Larson, who’s shooting ‘Captain Marvel’ right now […]It’ll make the world a better place. I’m looking forward to the future.”
As far as the rest of the cast? Well… let’s just say they decided to have some fun with some really terrible questions and the fact that their boss was on stage with them, and they couldn’t say a word about the movie. Still though- what they did say was so much fun to watch.
Infinity War opens April 27th.